- 9 Common Symptoms of a Bad Transmission
- 1. Difficulty in changing gears
- 2. You can smell something burning from the transmission
- 3. The transmission is noisy when in neutral
- 4. Slipping gears
- 5. The clutch is dragging
- 6. Leaking transmission fluid
- 7. The Check Engine indicator lights up
- 8. When the gears change, there is a grinding or shaking sound
- 9. Strange noises while driving
- How to Sell a Car With Transmission Problems
- How Much Can I Get for Selling a Car With a Bad Transmission
- Where's the Best Place to Sell a Car With Bad Transmission
Selling a car with a bad transmission can be a long, drawn-out, intimidating process, but it doesn’t have to be! Let us explain how to do it in the easiest and most profitable way possible.
If your car does not respond as quickly when you attempt to change gears. This can also happen when you are parked or in neutral and is one of the common signs your transmission is going out.
This stench could mean your transmission is overheated or the transmission fluid is old and burned.
The noises could mean that the transmission fluid needs to be replaced or, worst-case scenario, the transmission has serious mechanical damage.
When you hear the engine revving during a gear change, you know your transmission has slipped. A delay in acceleration, unusual noises, and an overall unpleasant response when shifting gears are some of the other symptoms.
This happens when the clutch disk fails to release from the flywheel and causes the gears to clash. A mechanical failure or misplacement of the clutch is the most common cause of a dragging clutch.,
If you see a red, oily fluid underneath your car after parking for a few hours, you should have a mechanic check the transmission fluid level. If it falls below the minimum level, then the transmission is leaking.
When the dashboard check engine indicator is lighted, it can signal a range of minor and major automotive problems, including a faulty transmission.
This usually happens in cars with automatic transmissions. Changing gears while driving will cause the transmission to grind and shake.
Strange clunking, grinding, whining noise coming from below the car can mean a variety of mechanical issues, including a failing transmission.
If you have a car with a bad transmission, the first step is to decide if you want to repair it or sell it. Transmission problems can range from moderate to severe. Before spending the money on a tow truck to take it over to a local mechanic, call them and explain the problem. Chances are they will have an idea of what’s wrong with it but will never know exactly what it is until they can get their hands on it and even open up the transmission. Nevertheless, explain the problem to them over the phone, and they will likely give you a range for the repair cost.
Depending on the cost, it may be easier and more cost-effective to just sell your car with a bad transmission. So what options on how to sell a car with transmission problems do you have?
- Selling a car with transmission problems as a trade into your local car dealer
This is an option, but definitely not your best. Car dealers will always focus on their bottom line, meaning they will always try to give you the least amount of money possible. If you’re not completely familiar with your car's worth or the negotiation process, it’s very unlikely that you’ll get top dollar for your car from a dealership — because a dealership will know the value of your car and are often very experienced in the art of negotiation.
If you do go this route, use Kelley Blue Book to determine your car’s value. The more you know, the better off you will be during the negotiation process.
- Selling your car with a faulty transmission to a private buyer
Depending on the buyer, this will likely earn you more money for your junk car, but it comes with risks. There are laws in the United States that protect car buyers, so if you knowingly fail to disclose issues with your damaged car, it can come back and haunt you. Of course, telling the buyer about the broken parts on your car gives them more negotiating power when it comes to offering you less money. Taking it to a local mechanic for an inspection for the buyer is a good idea, but this will cost you money — not to mention you’ll have to pay to get it towed over to the mechanic in the first place.
- Selling your car in parts
This is always an option, but depending on how mechanically inclined you are, it can be a difficult and long process. Not only is it a gamble to break a car down yourself, if you don’t know the right outlets to sell your car parts to, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to sell them. This would leave you with an even more incomplete car than you started and a garage full of old car parts with no guarantee of making any money from the parts.
- Sell your car to a junk car buyer
This is undoubtedly the most hassle-free way of getting rid of a car with transmission in bad condition. Considering all the costs of towing or rebuilding, it is likely this is the most cost-effective, too. Because junk car buyers know the value of scrap vehicles and know who to sell the parts to, you may be surprised at how much your car is worth. Let’s discuss that next.
As someone looking to sell your broken down car, of course, your million-dollar question is, “How much can I get for selling a car with a bad transmission?”
The answer is largely dependent on your vehicle, how old it is, what condition it’s in if the transmission is the only problem with it, and numerous other factors. In general, the newer and better condition your car is in, the more money you’ll get for it. This is obviously because it provides more parts for a junk car buyer to sell later to scrap yards or metal buyers. That doesn’t mean an old, broken-down car won’t get you a fair price from a reputable junk car buyer.
To accurately answer your question, you’ll need to get a quote. Without knowing the basic stuff about your car — the year, make, model, mileage, condition, etc. — we simply can’t give you an accurate answer. Your best option is to give JunkCarsUS a call at (855) 547-1550 and get your top dollar instant offer. Alternatively, you can use our scrap car value calculator and see just how much you can get for your junk car in less than 90 seconds. JunkCarsUS offers a highest price guarantee to all of our customers, so if you want to make sure you get the most money for your junk car, JunkCarsUS is the junk car removal service for you.
If you’re wondering how to sell a car with a bad transmission in the easiest, fastest way possible without sacrificing how much cash you can get for it, JunkCarsUS is the right choice for you. With over 12 years in the business, we have come up with a simple, three-step process to selling your junk car.
- Contact us! Give us a call at (855) 547-1550 or go on our website and fill out an online application.
- Get your instant offer! Our friendly customer service representatives will ask you for some basic information — the year, the make, the model, the mileage, and your car’s overall condition — and then give you a cash offer on the spot. No waiting around! Once we give you our offer (complete with the highest price guarantee), we’ll never try to haggle with you to try to lower it again.
- Arrange for FREE towing! There are never any hidden costs or fees when dealing with JunkCarsUS, which means we provide free towing. We’ll send one of our trusted tow truck drivers to your location exactly on time to get your vehicle. If your car has a faulty transmission, driving it around may make it even worse, and if it’s undrivable, a tow will cost you your hard-earned money to get it where it needs to go. We completely solve this problem by making sure you don’t have to do ANY transporting of your vehicle — it’s all done by us.
Hopefully, you’re no longer wondering, “Where's the best place to sell a car with bad transmission?” It’s to JunkCarsUS, of course! But there’s more. Not only do you get the highest price guarantee, an instant offer with same-day service, you’ll also get the paperwork completely taken care of for you. That means NO PAPERWORK for you! All you have to do is sign on the dotted line, and it’s all taken care of! Don’t hesitate any longer; give JunkCarsUS a call today and see for yourself just how easy it can be to get rid of your junk car with a broken transmission!