If you’re trying to decide if junking your car or donating it is the right choice for you, let us provide all the pros and cons to making that choice. Read on and learn how to make the right decision for you.
If you’ve reached the point of trying to get rid of your junk car, you’ve likely come across two main options: sell it to a junk car buyer for cash or donate a junk car, clunker, or working car to get a tax deduction. Let’s look at the pros and cons of each method.
- You’re helping your community. This one is largely self-explanatory. When you donate your car to a charity, they will sell that car for scrap and use that money to help fund their charitable services.
- You get a tax deduction for donating a junk car. But if you’re wondering, “How much of a tax deduction would I get for donating my junk car?” the answer isn’t so simple. If the charity sells your car for $500 or more, you will get exactly that much as a tax deduction. If your car sells for less than $500, even then, you can still write off $500 in tax credits.
- Free towing (usually!) Most charities that sell junk cars to fund their services will pick up your car from you. But not always! So check to make sure that’s included; otherwise, you’ll be hit with a towing bill.
- Yes, you’ll get a tax deduction for donating a junk car, but the biggest issue is that you won’t see this money until the next tax season. Nor will you see cash; it will only count as a junk car tax deduction. So if you need money as soon as possible, donating your junk car isn’t the way to get it.
- You won’t always know exactly how much you will get. Frequently, when a charity takes your junk car from your hands, they will sell it to a scrap yard or junk car buyer and THEN tell you how much it was sold for. This means you’ll hand your junk car over to one of these charities, not knowing how much it will sell for. That means if you donate your junk car for a tax deduction, you may learn it only sold for $100 when you could have received much more for selling it to a reputable junk car buyer like JunkCarsUS.
- You know exactly how much cash you will get. When you speak to one of JunkCarsUS’s team members, we will make you a top-dollar offer, and it will NEVER change. Unlike the amount of tax deduction for donating your junk car, which you may not know until it’s too late — we will tell you exactly how much you’ll receive.
- Cash on the spot. This is one of the biggest and most important differences between selling your junk car or donating for a tax credit. When you donate your car, you will only see that “money” as a deduction from how much you will save on paying taxes. When you sell your junk car, we will give you cold hard cash, in your pocket, on the spot.
- Free towing (always!) Some charities don’t always tow away your junk car. With JunkCarsUS, our cash offer includes free towing. This means you won’t get hit with any hidden fees, like towing.
- You’ll receive the most amount of money for your junk car. As we said above, sometimes these charities will take your junk car off your hands, then sell it to a junk car service like us — which does nothing but add a mediator.
Most of the time, these charities employ people who aren’t experts on junk cars, meaning they can get swindled into accepting less money than the car is worth. When you sell directly to us — the junk car experts — we know exactly how much your car is worth and will always give you a fair price. We back up our statement by offering our customers the highest price guarantee of any junk car company.
If you have tried to decide whether you should donate your junk car or sell it to a junk car buyer, we hope this article has helped you make that decision. If you’ve decided that selling your junk car is the right option, let us present JunkCarsUS as the number one choice for selling your junk car anywhere in the USA.
At JunkCarsUS, we are willing to make you a top dollar instant offer for nearly any vehicle in any condition. No matter how broken down the engine is or how damaged the body of the car is, we are willing to give our word to you for the highest price guarantee of any junk car buyer.
If you need cash now, we can even offer same-day services to get rid of your junk car. Unlike donating a car, where you won’t see your money until next tax season, JunkCarsUS will give you cash on the spot.
We offer free towing! This means there are no hidden fees, meaning that we tow your car away at no cost to you!
We do all the paperwork for you! This means NO PAPERWORK for you to fill out. Our team of experts will have all the necessary paperwork for a legal transfer of ownership already filled out and ready for you to sign on the dot.
If this all sounds good to you, take the first step (of our super easy three-step process) and reach out to JunkCarsUS at (855) 547-1550 or fill out an online application to let us know you want to sell your junk car. From there, we’ll give you our cash offer that you’ll be happy to accept. Finally, set up a time and location for one of our trusted tow truck drivers to come to pick up your junk car and give you cash on the spot.